My latest hobby is disc golf, & I recently I was able to score an under par (-1) for my best score ever. Even at the recreational level, I would have expected a solid year before this would have happened. I believe much of this has to do with programming my mental state, doing other activities that have calmed my mind, such as paddleboard & playing ukulele. You can check out the score at https://udisc.com/scorecards/X4Xnl36QXJ
Saturday, August 14, 2021
Have you ever struggled to find something you just had a minute ago - such as a phone, keys, or other valuables? While learning to master disc golf, our group frequently runs into this issue with our discs.
I was tempted to invent my own DiscFinder, but then we discovered the Apple AirTags, which are:
- Inexpensive individually, or even less for a 4-pack
- Water resistant
- Trackable via an app / sound
The battery is also easily replaceable versus other solutions out there.
This should be perfect for what we need. You can check out the Apple AirTags using this link https://amzn.to/3AiD0BQ.
What is your favorite product that provides an abundance of value? Let us know in the comments
Thursday, April 15, 2021
Recently I'm celebrating many things - including receiving my COVID-19 vaccine, my birthday month, growing wealth, & investing in myself.
Just a year ago I did my fastest February 5K race & started a mastermind group based off a book we read together.
Recently for gift purchases I've tried to focus on experiences versus material items, but COVID-19 prevented a lot of in-person events from happening.
At home I thought about building my own arcade cabinet, but got arcade stick that gives a pretty good experience. For piano I finished a summer & winter challenge, & even won a t-shirt.
I've been known to be cheap - see https://nextlevelfi.com for stories. But there are some purchases that I find value in, so I'll share my top 10 list for the past year here.
My Favorite Gift Purchases:
- Books - Kindle e-readers
- Media/Books - Echo devices home & car
- Sports - Running shoes TSLA
- Music - Piano
- Media - 4K TV for computer & movies
- Media - Outdoor speakers / PA, Portable speaker, & bluetooth headset
- Computers - laptop, gaming computer, & iPad
- Gaming - Nintendo Switch
- Gaming - Arcade stick & other Game controllers
- Food & Drink - Wine/Beer
Bonus – I help my family contribute to their Roth IRA accounts. See https://nextlevelfi.com for more
You can see links to many of the gifts bought below:
- Kindle https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kindle&linkCode=ll2&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=c807e3fc917f01d72d7a078c71419ae5&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
- Echo devices home & car https://www.amazon.com/s?k=echo&linkCode=ll2&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=43177b1e8274e8e062420ec5347d7e9a&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
- Running shoes https://www.amazon.com/TSLA-Running-Walking-Sneakers-Performance/dp/B07G5BHHD7?dchild=1&keywords=tsla+shoes&qid=1618364863&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVFVLTDJPRktSWFQ0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDU0NjM5MzY4WVJFOUgxMk1BNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjk1Mzc3TzNNVTc4QkdBRU0xJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ%3D%3D&linkCode=ll1&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=d563780e4ec172d0efdc44772fb0670b&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
- Piano https://welcome.gamerwarrior.com/2019/11/master-instruments-like-piano-with.html
- 4K TV http://digitalbeyond.com/
- Computers http://digitalbeyond.com
- Nintendo Switch https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Neon-Blue-Joy%E2%80%91/dp/B07VGRJDFY?dchild=1&keywords=nintendo+switch&qid=1618365539&sr=8-3&linkCode=ll1&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=cbd2b3b014c49267cbb2d60cb3daadd2&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
- Arcade stick https://www.amazon.com/MAYFLASH-Arcade-Stick-F101-Switch/dp/B07D26RD9P?dchild=1&keywords=arcade+stick&qid=1618365864&sr=8-9&linkCode=ll1&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=39afea9e2940c852f5adb4af43d07a4d&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl Other game controllers https://welcome.gamerwarrior.com/2019/11/control-your-classic-gaming-experience.html
- Food & Drink
- Alcohol WF wine https://www.amazon.com/Three-Wishes-Cabernet-Sauvignon-750/dp/B07G4QBH42?dchild=1&keywords=wine&qid=1618364434&sr=8-3&linkCode=ll1&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=580ed24b785e653ef5d0b0e95712ce3c&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
- Fresh Beer https://www.amazon.com/Kona-Brewing-Island-Variety-bottles/dp/B00OPC4032?dchild=1&keywords=beer&qid=1618364570&refinements=p_n_feature_ten_browse-bin%3A17295631011&rnid=17295628011&s=grocery&sr=1-5&linkCode=ll1&tag=digitalbeyond-20&linkId=43a572c0005bcf64f1f5af2a62865cef&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl
What are your favorite gift purchases in this past year? Let us know in the comments
Sunday, August 9, 2020
Less than 30 days until our inaugural Labor Day gaming tournament starts!
One of the reasons to pursue FIRE is having more time for fun with family & friends, and online games have become a lot more accessible in recent years. And luckily we're starting the tournament in just a few steps:
- Pick a game
Mobile gaming has grown popular, & there are even games you can play for just a few minutes a day - such as turn-based games like Words with Friends (Scrabble) & Chess by Post.
You can start with picking the type of game that can work - such as fast-paced action games like shooter/sports, fighting, strategy, puzzle, & more.
There is an endless selection to choose from, and you can always search online for what is best for eSports. You can even find games coded on platforms like Scratch, & many games are even Free-to-play.
Our tournament will
be family-friendly, so we chose Roblox. Roblox is a large
platform of different games options where players can easily create their own
games like Capture the
flag (CTF). You can download it on PC or mobile device.
There are also many other games are out there, & popular ones include Valorant, Rocket League, & Super Smash Bros. And don't forget Minecraft where players can build worlds together, Realtime Strategy (RTS) games like Starcraft 2 or Warcraft 3, & even Classic Games using a program like Retroarch - allowing you play Nintendo & other old arcade & console systems.
If you are still not sure you can also check out:
Software makers like Epic games which offers to get free games weekly, & others like
Steam, which you can also use to can also connect with other gamers.
- Connect & Practice
Keep in mind that some games may work better with specific controls, such as a mouse or gaming pad.
You'll also need a way to find & communicate with each other to talk & chat through something easy to use on all devices. Something simple like Google Hangouts can work.
There are also other options out there to connect to each other, such as Discord if you want to create a server channel to communicate there, or another gaming community like Steam. Skype is another option as well, which uses the same Microsoft account used for Xbox/Minecraft, so you likely have that.
It helps to have a consistent username/account to make it easy to find you. To get ready for the tournament, join us using this Discord invite.
- Play to win
Plan ahead what the schedule will be based on how many are in, how they win & advance to the finals. You can also easily record it for Twitch/YouTube or watch others for ideas.
And if you are in to classic console/arcade games, the Retro World Series has some great games lined up this summer like Ms Pac Man, Mario Kart 64, & Super Smash Bros.
Save the date for our tournament, which will be Labor Day weekend Sat 9/5 at 1pm EDT.
Enjoy the game, the prizes, & celebration afterwards.
What is your favorite game to play these days? Let us know @AGamerWarrior
Monday, June 15, 2020
- Fun - Make it a game with rewards along the way. I love trying new craft beer, so for me that is a great incentive along the way to keep me motivated. I also love competition, so challenging others can also help.
- Strong Desire - Having a powerful purpose drives our passion. Having a WHY is critical - the 80% vs. the how 20%. We need an urgency to help motivate us daily, so a shorter time like 30 days is a great time to solidify a habit & get 1% better daily.
- System to stay on track - Our brains can tend to make something bigger than it is, so don't let it. Break what you need to do in small steps where you can get into the habit even if it is just for 5min a day, & make sure you are building a Growth mindset so you won't give up.
- Code a playable video game - this includes designing the characters, story, sound. My daughters have been taking free virtual classes, & are even helping teach me. Along the way we've upgraded our computers & tried out old & new games, so look for an upcoming post on that.
- Play 30 new songs on piano - I've always loved music in games & movies, but it wasn't until recently that I saw myself wanting to learn piano. Practicing one key at a time has been very helpful, & you can see my previous post of the USB 32-key piano I'm using on my computer.
- Running a new PR - I used to hate running, but when I started training with runners I learned the tricks of the trade. Just before COVID-19 I had my best time ever. So now I'm not only looking to reach that again, but also look into completing
- The "Murph Challenge" - by later this year by starting with doing a shorter half-Murph. Look for a future post & a virtual 5K group that we're starting.
- Read 5 books - this is a perfect time since I'm pursuing certification while helping colleagues adjust to COVID-19 & working remotely. I've also added friends that are avid readers to my Goodreads so my list of books to check out will never run out.
- Level up the Spanish Language – 5min on a language-learning app is something that can easily be done daily, & making it a game makes it fun.
- Legacy document - this is crucial when you start building wealth so that your family has a clear path of what to do after your passing. I also want to
- Challenge others to invest - in their future, even if they are just getting started. If you qualify, you can still contribute to a Roth IRA for the 2019 tax year.
Friday, March 13, 2020
- World Health Organization https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- Information is beautiful charts (uses sources such as CDC/WHO) https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
- Flatten the curve https://www.cbsnews.com/news/flattening-the-curve-coronavirus-graph-social-distancing-self-quarantine-no-large-events-covid-19/